SG monthly call 22 May 2020


  • Chris Awre
  • Carolyn Caizzi
  • Jon Dunn  (Chair)
  • Hannah Frost
  • Rosalyn Metz 
  • Robin Ruggaber
  • Simeon Warner
  • John Weise
  • Richard Green

  1. Remembering Julie
    Participants spent a short time in silence with their own memories of the late Julie Allinson, their colleague and friend.
    It was agreed that Steering should lead an initiative to create 'something' in her memory - perhaps a diversity scholarship.  This will be discussed with Partners in due course. 

  2. Changes to the agenda

  3. Status checks
    1. Code of Conduct
      1. Review of Otter Tech proposals
        1. Procedures review
        2. Response workshop
          HF reported on a 30-minutes call with Otter Tech held jointly with Jessica Hilt. They explained the nature of the Samvera Community, the history of its CoC and the sort of incidents that have arisen in the past. There is a lot we would not be well prepared for and want to bolster the CoC accordingly.  A procedures review would need a group to work with Otter Tech to advance what we already have.  The proposed (virtual) four-hour workshop is for up to 14 people and Otter Tech see it as critical. HF has received referrals which are very very positive.
          Consult with Partners on the July Partner call (when we have a better idea of Samvera's income this year) and by email.  In the meantime HF to follow up on referrals.  Endeavour to have decision by the end of July when the Steering Group membership will change.
    2. Working with Roadmap Council to plan next Partner call (6/12)
      SW to approach a possible chair/facilitator. CC and SW will represent Steering on the planning group. When we have a chair, invite others from the RC to participate.  When a chair is agreed notify Partners that this will be the important agenda for the June Partner call.
    3. Community Manager appointment
      1. Progress check
        1. Creating job and approval for hiring at Emory
          Looking good.  Two similarly funded positions have been approved.
        2. Draft MOU between Samvera and Emory
          Do we also need an MoU between Lyrasis - need to investigate.
      2. New Chair for Search Committee
        CC to take this on and set up a first call.
      3. New member needed?
        No.  CC is an additional member.
    4. Technology coordinator
      1. NTR
    5. 2020 fundraising
      We will ask Lyrasis for a statement of the invoice position in time to report on the next Steering call.
    6. Fall Connect
      1. Zoom needed for Connect in the autumn
        In principle, IU could offer this but need exact details of what is required and when - there are only so many webinar licences.
      2. Keynote speaker ideas?
        Ideas for a keynote speaker were requested
      3. A central Zoom/BlueJeans/Webex?
        The Community Manager will have access to Emory's Zoom.

  4. Dealing with the unexpected vacancy on Steering
    1. Because the two elections are running concurrently, there is the potential for electing two people from the same institution - how would we deal with that?
      Discuss this if it looks to be a serious possibility.

  5. Partner questions
    1. Joint Partnership
      Two institutions have asked Steering to look at the possibility of being a joint, single Partner.  Steering will consider this.
    2. Chrissy Rissmeyer's email about Connect 2020 and Connect 2022
      In principle Steering have no issue with the idea of holding Connect 2022 in Santa Barbara.

  6. OR2020 virtual event Repository Rodeo panel - Tuesday, June 2 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM EDT
    JD will represent us.

  7. Virtual Connect debrief
    Went well despite the news breaking about Julie Allinson's tragic death.  See if the cancelled presentations could be given as webinars?

  8. Date of next call
    1. Friday June 26th 0800 PDT, 1100 EDT, 1600 BST