Scope & Objectives
This group is interested in working together to make recommendations for creating and maintaining URIs that are necessary for Samvera community projects to express appropriate RDF properties and property values. This group is a working group of the Samvera Metadata Interest Group and is considering use cases from requests and questions documented on the Metadata IG Requests and Priorities. Examples of properties that might require minting new URIs include the following:
- Community terms (Sufia, CurationConcerns, possibly PCDM)
- ss:arkivoChecksum = premis:hasMessageDigest or a checksum property from LC (not sure which)
- ss:relativePath = premis:hasContentLocationValue or a property from ebucore (ebucore:locator?)
- ss:importURL = premis:historyInfo but this might not work
- ss:proxyDespoitor = marcrelator:dpt (depositor)
- ss:onBehalfOf = marcrelator:cre (creator)
- Accepted vocab (standard) but not available through RDF - I.e. GeoRSS, PBCore
- Local vocab that everyone wants - you just don’t know it yet!
- RDF that doesn’t work for me, i.e. Premis
Deliverables & Timeframe
The initial goals of the group are:
- survey Samvera community to find out if there have been roadblocks or properties not found (beyond issues documented on the Metadata IG Requests and Priorities)
- create decision tree for new predicates/vocabs; should they be hosted by Samvera vocab manager or hosted elsewhere?
- define functional requirements for Samvera vocab manager
- is versioning necessary? are there examples to support this need?
- define Phases of development
- General Governance Issues to be considered for Phases (timeline, testing, etc)
- define workflow for requesting new predicates/vocabs from the Samvera vocab manager
Survey findings, decision tree, and functional requirements to be delivered by Hydra Connect 2016
Working Group Final Report: URIMgmtWGFinalReport.pdf
Functional Requirements: SamveraVocabManagerFunctionalRequirements.pdf
Predicate Decision Tree (current version maintained by the URI Selection Working Group)
Meeting Times & Communication Channels
This working group has finished its work, and is no longer meeting.
Every 2 weeks on Tuesdays, 3-4pm Eastern, starting 2016-05-31
Connection info: +1 (641) 715 3660, access code 651025
Communication will take place on Samvera-Tech mailing list and Slack #metadata channel.
Metadata IG Requests and Priorities
W3C Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies
5-star Open Data
LDCX 2016, Management of Community URIs, session notes
Charter development meeting - URI Management WG
Functional requirements for a Samvera community vocabulary manager (preliminary set of requirements open for comment)