February 8, 2013

Hydra Partners Call -- 8 February 2013


  • Adam Wead, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (Facilitator)
  • Bess Sadler, Stanford (Note taker)
  • Richard Green, Hull
  • Chris Awre, Hull
  • Ed  LSE
  • Ray UVA
  • Karen WGBH
  • Mark DCE
  • Mike Stroming, Northwestern
  • Rick ND
  • Phuong from IU
  • Andrea Harrington, Penn State
  • Lynn McRae, Stanford 
  • Anders, Royal Library of Denmark


  1. Roll Call
    1. Welcome New Folks
  2. Call for Agenda Items
  3. Next Call
    1. Date: March 8, 2013
    2. Facilitator: Rick Johnson
    3. Notetaker: Mark Bussey
  4. Standing Community TODOs
    1. Contributor License Agreements (CLAs)
      1. We have almost all of the individual class in place. For the corporate, we have them all or they are acknowledged as being in progress. Thanks, everyone!
    2. OR2013 preparation
      1. Bess and Mark are proposing a talk on the topic of the strategic importance of training for the main OR conference track
      2. Avalon/Rock Hall/WGBH panel discussion of technical and practical issues solved by each, the current state of the art, demo of software. We should prep at partners mtg in March. Suggestion: invite Penn State? Sufia also handles media.
    3. Next Partner meeting 
      1. Next partner meeting will be immediately after LDCX 
      2. Please add items to the agenda
      3. Bess reminds everyone about the schema.org workshop 
      4. Do we have a quorum for March Partner meeting? (Yes.) Please make sure you have RSVP'ed on the wiki.
    4. Training
      1. Update on April Hydracamp
        1. There will be at least one, at Trinity College Dublin, open to the public with a small fee https://www.tchpc.tcd.ie/hydracamp2013
        2. There might be another one, in Australia 
  5. Updates on Action Items
    1. Bess and Mark to compare notes on training 
    2. Adam and Mark to connect and plan c4l13 Hydra workshop
      1. this one will be 3 hours, hands on, diving into doing code & building applications quickly. Goal is to make a working hydra had by the end of the session. 
    3. All to think about and share OR2013 proposal ideas on Partners list in advance of next call
    4. JCDL 13 Hydra workshop/tutorial
      1. Rick and Don and some of their staff have offered to teach this workshop at JCDL. Deadline in a few weeks. Rick action item: Make sure the JCDL workshop proposal gets in. 
    5. Tom to send a list of who's on Hydra-Partners (DONE)
    6. Tom & Mark to send out documentation on the charter & purpose of Hydra-Partners list & calls (DONE See: 


      g. All to send a monthly partner update

      1. Stanford
      2. Hull
      3. Virginia 
      4. DuraSpace
      5. DCE
      6. Notre Dame 
      7. Northwestern
      8. Columbia
      9. Penn State 
      10. Indiana
      11. LSE
      12. RRHOF 
      13. BPL
      14. WGBH
      15. Royal Library
      Discussion around the purpose of these updates - and “everyone” seemed to prefer the idea of mailing them to hydra-partners prior to the call rather than posting them to the wiki.
  6. Prospective Partner Intel Sharing
  7. Partners / Steering Exchange
    1. Anything Steering wants to communicate to Partners
    2. Any issues at the Partner level that should be escalated to Steering