March 2013 Agenda and Notes

Partners' meeting:  28/29 March 2013, Stanford
Partners, please add yourselves to the attendees list (link below) and add to the three agenda areas below as appropriate...

March 2013 Partners' Meeting Attendees
Hotel suggestions and ground transportation tips for Stanford


  • Thursday 3/28, 8:30 AM - 5 PM
  • Friday, 3/29, 8:30 AM - 5 PM

Location: 2nd Floor of Meyer Library, Stanford University (



  • AM Plenary Session comprising...
    • Introductions
    • Demos of latest institutional developments
    • Lightning Talks – 7 min demos / presos of recent developments...
    • Agenda planning for tech threads
    • Agenda planning for strategic planning / community thread
  • Lunch: at Tresidder or other on campus eatery
  • PM 
    • Technical tracks (developers self-assemble)
    • Strategic plan action items tracks (managers / community leads self-assemble--see  Strategic Planning for Hydra)
    • Thursday end of day: Reconvene for plenary session, report outs
  • Night: Group dinner


  • AM
    • Technical tracks continue
    • Strategic plan action items tracks continue 
    • 11:30 AM: Reconvene for report outs, afternoon track planning
  • Lunch: at Tresidder or other on-campus eatery
  • PM
    • Plenary: 
      • Institutional plans for the next quarter
    • Technical tracks continue
    • Strategic Plan action items continue
    • Reconvene end of day: Report outs and dinner planning
  • Dinner on your own

Agenda & Notes


  • Notes on Hydra Heads
    • Argo: Jon Deering
    • Avalon: Jon Dunn, Julie Rudder
    • DIL: Mike Stroming
    • Hydrus: Hannah Frost
    • Sufia / ScholarSphere: Mike Giarlo
    • ArchiveSphere: Mike Giarlo
    • HydraDAM: Mark Bussey
    • CurateND: Jeremy Friesen
    • Commonwealth: Steven Anderson
    • DIAS : Anders Conrad
    • SIFD: Anders Conrad

Break Out Topics

  • defining a stable Hydra5 gemset for Hull
  • defining the H6 distro and how to patch – Jeremy, Mark, Drew
  • adding Sufia et al. to project hydra
  • coding on the vanilla Hydra admin app (the Introspector)
  • the Tutorial App – to keep, change or kill? 
  • "brochure for Hydra" / training for Managers

Action Items
  • Document and share Hydra distro process –  Drew, Jeremy, Mark
    • Email new release manager protocol to hydra-tech
    • Put this process on the wiki, replacing old release manager page
    • Email new contributor protocol for gems (now that we are moving away from quarterly release managers) to hydra-tech
    • Publicize Hydra 6 distro – "fleece vest"
    • move the "getting started for devs" docs from DuraSpace to github wiki
    • update website with a direct link from "getting started" to projecthydra gem & docs
  • Create a hydra-announce list – Richard
    • low-traffic, non-discuss
    • use for announcements of import, including security patches for non-Partners
  • Document which lists to use for which purposes (Hydra-tech, hydra-partners, hydra-releases and hydra-announce)
  • Document the software grant process for adding content to the projecthydra codebase - Richard
    • email offering the code
    • review the contributors to make sure CLA's are on file
    • email from Steering confirming acceptance of the code
    • move to projectHydra git repo, and/or apply project hydra license
  • Research the best copyright statement to use for projecthydra code - Tom
  • Update the responsibilities of Steering vis a vis Partners - Steering (in consultation w/ Partners)
  • Frame and pursue plans for expanding the vendor community (Steering, Rick, Karen, Jon)

Items Not Discussed

  • Review of wiki hardware deployment pages
  • Review of wiki software deployment pages
    • Status (or otherwise) of auto-gem
    • Status of "Community Content Modelling" page.  Dead?
  • Review of website
  • Release manager rotation, Instructions for Release Managers (release steps, email templates, etc.)
    • cCLA and iCLA update; review of related procedures
  • What does Hydra offer to partners versus "mere adopters"?  Do "adopters" get just code?  Or?
  • How do we mediate between the "needs" of the developers and Hydra's overall strategic direction?  Do we need a "technical liaison" person?
  • How do we deal with Hydra support?  "Certified/approved" providers (how do they get this status?)?  Or...?
    • What representation might such certified providers have at the Hydra table?  Commercial v. non-commercial interests...
  • Excision of unlicensed code from hydra-jetty