Scope & Objectives
Community members who work on Hyrax development and maintenance have identified several chronic issues that must be addressed to protect both Hyrax community code and those who dedicate time and energy to maintaining it:
- A perception that contributing fixes upstream to Hyrax community code is difficult and time-consuming
- A lack of support by local institutional leadership for turning local fixes into community code
- A large and complex codebase seeing a decline in contributors
- A history of burnout amongst Community members who take on technical leadership roles
This group will develop deliverables to address these issues from several angles including new and increased community engagement strategies; recommended best practices, commitments, and actions for Partners; training and development opportunities for the Community; and recommendations for ways to better care for Community-based technical leadership.
Deliverables & Timeframe
The group should produce the following deliverables:
- A process and schedule for multiple Development Congresses to be held at regular intervals every year – completed by April 1, 2021
- New contributor support practices, including new practices for highlighting successful contributions and contributors and regular opportunities for new contributor support – completed by May 1, 2021
- An evaluation of current contribution culture strengths and weaknesses – completed by June 1, 2021
- A set of recommendations to Partners based on the above work, including but not limited to recommendations for practices and actions that require commitment from the institutional leadership level – completed by August 1, 2021
The group will present their work at Samvera Connect 2021 and sunset after that presentation.
Meeting Times & Communication Channels
This Group will aim to create deliverables through assignment of asynchronous work using collaborative tools.
Proposed meeting commitment is:
- 1 kick-off meeting in February 2021
- 2 meetings per month from March - August 2021
- 1 meeting in September 2021
The samvera-tech mailing list and #hyrax-support-engagement-wg Slack channel will be used for this discussion and coordinating meetings.
Note that Working Groups must have participants from three different Partners. All members of a working group producing software must be licensed Samvera contributors covered by the appropriate CLAs. Other types of contributions such as requirements, design, best practices, documentation, etc. - do not require CLAs but participants should accept that the materials to which they contribute may be released under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License..
- list of links
- or table of meeting notes