2018-07-03 Program Committee

Connection Info:


Agenda and Notes 

  1. Welcome / Check attendees list (above)
  2. Volunteer for note taker: Hannah–thank you Hannah!
  3. Facilitator arouner
  4. Additions/changes to agenda? None 
  5. General comments on where we are / progress?
    1. Anything criticisms etc. on what we've done so far?
      1. None offered on the call. Andrew is open to receiving input offline/privately
      2. GOING FORWARD, include message to tech
        1. also include to code4lib, FedoraCommons, Library Publishing Forum
      3. Richard: for all future emails, remind people of all the other things people need to be doing, i.e. "and don't forget...link is here..."
        1. register for Connect
        2. workshop proposals
        3. conference proposals
    2. Any items critical to address in the next 2 weeks (we can list here and then add as actions items below)
      1. Scholarship Committee/related issues?

        1. who initiates this? what is the program committee's relationship and role?  Richard Greene advises that we put out a call for volunteers to form a committee. Get the message out this week. Look up the text used last year.

        2. Utah is planning on offering scholarships, extent will depend on hotel registrations and overall attendance.
  6. Scheduling/future meetings (just for reference)
    1. Additional meeting dates have been added (all meetings listed):
      1. 2018-04-03 Program Committee
        2018-05-01 Program Committee
        2018-06-13 Program Committee
        2018-07-03 Program Committee
        2018-07-17 Program Committee
        2018-08-07 Program Committee
        2018-08-21 Program Committee
        2018-09-04 Program Committee
        2018-09-18 Program Committee

    2. Committee members known time-off or missing for future meetings (can write in following meeting)
      1. Andrew: June 25-29; August 6-8, 22-27 (no meeting conflicts)
      2. Margaret: July 13 - 23 , possibly missing 7/17 meeting 
      3. Emily: July 30-August 3 (no meeting conflicts)
      4. Richard: September 4th & 18th
      5. Hannah: July 23-August 7 (will miss 8/7 meeting)
    3. Other scheduling items?
  7. Host Committee
    1. conference site up: https://connect2018.lib.utah.edu 
    2. registration
      1. open 6/4/2018; announced at OR
      2. Brian sent registration announcement last week
      3. three registrants as of this morning!
    3. issues with workshops unavailable at registration launch?
      1.   There needs to be a note on the conference site noting that the workshop schedule is not final and that some workshops might be moved from afternoon to morning or vice versa.  
    4. number of registrations so far?  
  8. Finalizing workshops:
    1. Are additional workshops confirmed?
      1. i.e. Tom Johnson and DCE will lead
      2. Stanford is still discussing one
      3. Northwestern planning one on Jekyl
      4. Brian says there are still rooms available for workshops of about 40 people
      5. Brian is taking workshop registrations manually for now. Once the workshop program is finalized, can move to a registration form.
      6. Let's send out a final call for workshop ideas and confirmations from workshop leaders – last day will be July 13.
    2. page (unlinked) listing workshops: SC18 - Workshops at Samvera Connect
    3. spreadsheet with additional information: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F0R3bWU4rD3LhjOfLIsBQw2mlQXfGwWsSZYdw1NYmOA/edit#gid=624287811
    4. add column to check if leaders have registered, as well as if they've confirmed leading – DONE (see columns I,J, K)
    5. Facilities / Rooms available for conference - info provided by host committee
      1. Are room assignments finalized?
    6. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pTncHSl5JFXu8ORCReAyo0sbU-4MX7aangzr136SHrE/edit#gid=0
    7. host committee: how will workshop info be incorporated into registration form?
    8. last-minute possible additions: intro and advanced Hyrax workshops from DCE
  9. Panels & Presentations Call
    1. initial call and deadline clarification sent
    2. What is access to Margaret's Google form?
    3. in "proposals" form
    4. Has anyone had a chance to see how many submissions so far?
      1. There are 3 proposals submitted
    5. Recommendations from the committee on additional panels/discussion sections?
  10. Review communication timeline / 
    1. Next communications:
      1. REMINDER CFP for presentations & panels in two weeks?
    2. additional communications/issues upcoming?
      1. IN EVERY MESSAGE GOING OUT, REMIND PEOPLE OF ALL THE THINGS TO DO (with relevant links): registration, conference proposals, etc.
      2. Review tools and processes for planning–who is familiar with and/or has admin access to these?
    1. Waffle board for organization and tracking of sessions and speakers
      1. https://waffle.io/samvera-labs
    2.  Google drive
      1. Chris set up for 2018
      2. Link: program planning and structure of past Connect conferences
    3. Sessionizer for timetabling unconference sessions
      1. https://github.com/curationexperts/sessionizer
      2. Script run (originally created by Peter Binkley) to scrape wiki and put into GitHub repo (above)
      3. Aaron Collier will check with Justin Coyne about sessionizer use and scripts–any information on this?
  11. ACTION STEPS from last meeting:
    ACTION:  Brian McBride will send out the next registration communication NEXT Monday 6/18.–DONE 
    ACTION:  arouner will send out proposal information soon after–DONE 
    ACTION:  Chris Diaz will read a paper that came out about individuals doing conference live-streaming and will summarize at our next meeting on 7/3/2018
    Does anyone recall the paper Chris referenced?  Chris posted this paper to our Google Drive 
    ACTION:  Margaret Mellinger will draft a google form for program proposals–DONE 
    ACTION:  Aaron Collier  will check in about Sessionizer. - No Update. Move to Next Action Steps.
    RICHARD to send email to community re: volunteers for scholarship committee - DONE
    ACTION:  Aaron Collier  will check in about Sessionizer.