- Bring people together to build individual capacity and empowerment
- Increase diversity in participation, interaction and presentation at Samvera Connect
- Break down barriers to entry and provide a welcoming orientation to the Samvera community
- Strengthen the Samvera community by learning from mentees and diverse voices
The structure of the relationship between mentor and mentee can and should be defined at the outset by the parties involved. However, here are a few simple guidelines you may want to consider so that both of you can define a rewarding relationship:
- Define clear, achievable goals for what you're hoping to get out of Samvera Connect. "Learn about Samvera Architecture" or "Engage with the community" are OK, but may not be specific enough to help you succeed. "Determine what level of architecture should hold this feature or design" or "What group(s) could I contribute to, and how, given my interest and skills in linked data" would be better.
- Be explicit about your expectations. For example:
- Set aside time each day of Samvera Connect to check in.
- Establish a communication plan including preferred channel(s) and expected response time in advance.
- Evaluation: We would love to know what worked or didn't work for advice to future mentors and mentees. Please send feedback to Samveraemail@example.com. A survey will also be sent out post-SamveraConnect to be shared with Samvera Connect Meetings and Samvera Board membership.
Sign up to be a mentor: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QfgdwgQx7tZpeD895sGdngFeMETwqGbcmyVCavsO_fo/edit?usp=sharing
Sign up to be a mentee: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wUapMWA0CCb2AMnknIPImd2vsoRa-TBX0Qs60DE7qcU/edit?usp=sharing
This is generally worked out between the mentor and the mentee.
Consider signing up to edit Samvera wiki pages, subscribe to community emails, etc. at the "Get in touch!" page:
Getting Started in the Samvera Community
Participants will be paired by the Samvera Connect Program Committee based on responses in the sign-up forms. Mentors and Mentees will be notified of pairing approx. the week prior to Samvera Connect 2018. If you have concerns about your match-up or would like to be matched up with someone else, you can let us know.
Adapted from Code4Lib's Mentorship Program