|Hydra Partners Call (May 2017)
|Friday, May 12, 2017
|11:30 am | Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-05:00) | 1 hr
||737 192 431
|Join by phone
|+1-617-627-6767 US Toll
|Access code: 737 192 431
(recording misses the beginning of meeting)
AGENDA & NOTES
Welcome to the first meeting with our new name! Pronounce at will.
- The Michigan Daily Archives: Newspapers in Blacklight & IIIF (Chris Powell, University of Michigan)
Student newspaper publishing since 1890. Have wanted to put online for a decade, but now have done so in time for the bicentennial.
Is not a Samvera project per se, but uses Blacklight, Solr and IIIF. Chris gave a live demonstration of the search and faceting, page turning, and ability to download.
Future plans include abstracting this work and extracting gems to share with the rest of the community.
- Will Cowan shared that Indiana is using Plum to run a newspaper project - trying to solve the OCR and search problem. Getting close to having it go live.
- Likes the way it handles image uploading, page turning ability
- Uses IIIF universal viewer
- Mentioned Newspaper interest group within the Samvera Community
- Princeton has migrated Plum to Hyrax
- Reminder - sign up for Samvera Virtual Connect - to attend, to give a lightning talk, to give anIG/WG update
- Any partners running Hyrax 1.01 in production? (Carolyn)
- Emory will be in production soon (by the end of June)
- Cincinnati will be up soon, as will be Michigan
- Mike's list:
Hyrax Implementations - view and add to this list
- Mike Giarlo gave an update on the group that is working on "Defining roles, responsibilities, and decision-making frameworks that would help us work together effectively as a community, and mitigate some of our commonly identified problems." That group will be meeting again soon and Mike will give an update on the July partner call.
- For next month's Samvera Partner call, Mike Giarlo will take notes, and Dan Coughlin will facilitate.
Add your name here
- Karen Cariani
- Thomas Scherz, University of Cincinnati (substituting for Linda Newman, who sends her regrets)
- Andrew Rouner, WUSTL
- Nabeela Jaffer and Chris Powell, University of Michigan
Margaret Mellinger (Oregon Digital)
bess (Data Curation Experts)
- Chris Awre (Hull)
- Rebecca Fraimow, WGBH
- Sadie Roosa, WGBH
Mike Korcynski (Tufts)
- Peter Binkley, Leah Vanderjagt, Weiwei Shi (UAlberta)
Richard Johnson (U of Notre Dame)