Working Group Call Location:
Zoom Call: https://notredame.zoom.us/j/7826130987
Repeating: Bi-weekly, Tuesday, 11:30 AM ET
Meeting Notes and Agendas
- June 26, 2018 WG Call
- May 29, 2018 WG Call
- May 1, 2018 WG Call
- April 17, 2018 WG Call
- April 3, 2018 WG Call
- March 20, 2018 WG Call
- March 6, 2018 WG Call
- February 20, 2018 WG Call
- January 26, 2018 WG Call
- December 1, 2017 WG Call
- Samvera Connect 2017 - Nov. 9th (in-person breakout)
- October 27, 2017 WG Call
- Pre-meeting notes - 9/7/17: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-pCW8azh63wvnDPWIWpw-yZDDMFgCljVTpujSaVMOIA/edit?usp=sharing
Scope & Objectives
The Samvera EZID to DataCite DOI Working Group will organize and coordinate efforts around Samvera Partners moving from EZID to DataCite for DOI creation. The primary activities will be around building technology support into core Samvera gems, frameworks, and applications to support utilizing DataCite for DOI creation. Currently, many Samvera partners utilize the EZID service to create DOIs. Support for non-U of California system schools will be sunseted in 2018, and at that time all non-UC Samvera partners will need to have shifted to DataCite instead. Consequently, UC-system schools will continue to use EZID and therefore support for both EZID and DataCite should be maintained. There will also be activities and information sharing around logistics for Samvera partners to shift memberships from EZID to DataCite. It is also anticipated that some users may already be using DataCite (e.g., European partners) who may also want to migrate to the produced solution(s).
Deliverables & Timeframe
There are a few different parallel timelines to watch and/or manage regarding this shift:
- DataCite roadmap: DataCite will be enhancing their system with several features to be in feature parity with EZID
- Sunset Timeline for EZID membership: Sept 2017 to Dec 2018
- DataCite Temporary Support for EZID API
- Hyrax Roadmap
- Migration plans of partners to Hyrax (e.g., from Sufia, Curate, CurationConcerns)
Technical Action Plan
- The group will create a technical action plan (with a sub working group as necessary) for how best to implement various levels of support including:
- API level support for Samvera applications
- Out-of-the-box support in Hyrax, and other appropriate Samvera versions such as Sufia
- Migration plan dependencies such as testing and temporary support (e.g., EZID before migrating to Datacite, non-Hyrax to Hyrax migrations)
Documentation of use and support of DataCite (and EZID for UC support for Samvera partners): Including migration of existing users (EZID or DataCite) and for potential users
Meeting Times & Communication Channels
Note that following current best practices within Samvera, Working and Interest groups should use an existing channel unless and until it becomes clear that a dedicated channel is needed. This section should specify which existing channel(s) will be used: e.g., samvera-tech, samvera-partners, email@example.com. When using a shared channel, individual working groups should start the subject line with their name in s, such as [archives] for the Archives Working Group. If and when a dedicated channel is needed, the new channel should be well publicized and open to any interested subscribers/participants in the community.
The call for participation will be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.
Next Call Scheduled on Oct. 27, 2017 at 11:30 PM ET at https://notredame.zoom.us/j/7826130987
Regular meetings will be held every 4-5 weeks on Friday at 11:30 PM ET
Meetings, meeting minutes, deliverables, and milestones will be announced on firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.
We will set up a dedicated (not private, but topic-specific) Slack channel in the Samvera team for asynchronous communication (#eziddatacite). This should help us keep discussions focused and on topic.
Meeting notes recording action items and provisional decisions will be in the Samvera wiki.
Note that Working Groups must have participants from three different Partners. All members of a working group producing software must be licensed Samvera contributors covered by the appropriate CLAs. Other types of contributions such as requirements, design, best practices, documentation, etc. - do not require CLAs but particpants should accept that the materials to which they contribute may be released under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License..
Likely external consultants include
- EZID: Michael Witt (Purdue University), Joan Starr (CDL)
- DataCite: Patricia Cruse, Martin Fenner