Collection Extensions Requirements Working Group

NOTE: Original name was Display Sets Working Group.  All references to Display Sets in these documents can be replaced with the term Collection Extensions.


Scope & Objectives

This group will explore the use of Display Sets to allow resources controlled by Admin Sets (for visibility and workflow control) to be organized into arbitrary groupings of resources.  This work is specifically looking to provide a solution for use cases that cannot fit into the limitations of Admin Sets.  Two current limitations of Admin Sets prevent arbitrary grouping.  1) a resource may exist in one-and-only-one Admin Set, and 2) Admin Sets may not be nested.

The group will also propose mockups for interacting with Display Sets with in Sufia and potentially Curation Concerns.

This group should be comprised of a balance of members from multiple institutions and varying use cases.  Ideally we will have members with Hydra stack implementation experience and/or UI design skills.  Members need to be able to commit to the following deliverables and timeframe.

Deliverables & Timeframe

Deliverables will include:

  • Phase 1 - Primary deliverables for this instance of the working group.

    • Documented behaviors and restrictions of Display Sets

      • Will Display Sets be nestable, such that a Display Set can be a member of a Display Set?

      • Can a resource be created directly in a Display Set or must it exist first?
      • Can a resource be a member of multiple Display Sets?
      • Can a Display Set have site defined metadata properties?
      • Can a Display Set be configured to mirror an Admin Set such that adding a resource to an Admin Set will also add it to the Display Set?  Or vice versa?
      • Can an Admin Policy Object (limiting visibility) be applied to a Display Set?  If so, would the APO be inherited by nested Display Sets?
      • Can a Workflow be applied to a Display Set?   If so, would the workflow be inherited by nested Display Sets?
      • Should Display Sets be implemented in Curation Concerns (inherited by Sufia) or Sufia?
      • etc.
    • Mockups for User Interface for creating Display Sets with metadata properties

      • Mockup for listing Display Sets

      • Mockup for create, edit, delete of Display Sets

      • Mockup for adding, creating, and/or selecting resources to include in a Display Set
      • Mockup for relationship between Display Sets and Admin Sets
      • Mockup of changes to the logged-in-user toolbar
      • etc.
    • Review by community of designs and solicitation of feedback (throughout the process)
  • Phase 2 - Secondary deliverables for this instance of the working group.  If implementation is not completed prior to the sunset date, a second charter will be created to continue the work of this group.

    • Implementation of design in Phase 1

Documents will be delivered via the Hydra wiki.  Feedback will be solicited through hydra-tech list and Hydra Tech Calls.

The group will begin meeting in early January 2017.  The group's sunset date is currently scheduled for March 31st, 2017.

Meeting Times & Communication Channels

  • The call for participation will be sent to the following lists: samvera-partners, samvera-tech and samvera-community

  • A regular schedule for meetings will be set using Doodle once the membership is established. The initial plan will be to hold calls biweekly at a time to be determined.

  • Meetings, meeting minutes, deliverables, and milestones will be announced on the  samvera-partnerssamvera-tech and samvera-community lists

  • We will set up a dedicated (not private, but topic-specific) Slack channel in the Project Hydra team for asynchronous communication. This should help us keep discussions focused and on topic:  (TBA)

  • Meetings will take place on Zoom

  • Meeting notes recording action items and provisional decisions will be in the Hydra wiki

Slack channel:

Meeting Notes


Community Documents

Working Group Documents


Note that to be a member of a Working Group, you must have have a CLA in place if you are committing code (not anticipated for Phase 1) and you must consent to release documentation under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Membership will be capped at (10) in order to keep scheduling and organization manageable.

Facilitator : Lynette Rayle (Cornell)  

  1. newmanld (University of Cincinnati)
  2. Hannah Frost (Stanford)
  3. Gary Geisler (Stanford)
  4. Nabeela Jaffer (University of Michigan)
  5. Aaron Collier (California State University)


The following documents have made efforts to explore of issues related to various groupings of resources including Collections, Admin Sets, and Use Cases.

Other reference docs that may be of use.