2021-11-04 Samvera Community Safety Working Group

Samvera Community Safety Working Group

Thursday, October 7, 2021

11:30 am  |  Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-05:00)  |  1 hr 

Join by phone

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +18333021536,,393158590# or +16507249799,,393158590#

Or Telephone:
Dial: +1 650 724 9799 (US, Canada, Caribbean Toll) or +1 833 302 1536 (US, Canada, Caribbean Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 393 158 590
Password: 568290


  • @Hannah Frost

  • @Kevin Kochanski

  • @Heather Greer Klein

  • @bess

  • @Jessica Hilt

  • @Alicia M. Morris

  • @Jon Cameron

  • @Brian McBride

  • @Michael Klein

Action items from October

Draft blog post to be sent in November after all work is wrapped up, including community guidelines (@Hannah Frost )
Look for other places to publish/present - Code4Lib May 2022 presentation; EDUCAUSE Oct 2022 presentation
Create a page for “how to report an violation and what to expect” : https://samvera.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/samvera/pages/1814233093
Follow up with @Nabeela Jaffer about visual diagram of response process @Hannah Frost
Annalee to send us questions to start the community guidelines
Update Jessica’s slides re: Code of Conduct @Hannah Frost
Prepare a script of the CoC for each morning’s host to read @Hannah Frost
Remind newcomers to sign up for Slack and that they should use their institutional account (even if temporarily) to streamline vetting/review of newcomers @Heather Greer Klein
Michael will help Heather set up Slackbot for CoC shortcut @Michael Klein@Heather Greer Klein
Tell Esmé about Response Team, option for training in the future @Heather Greer Klein - he is taking it in December 2021
Convene kick off meeting with new Helpers and Responders in November @Hannah Frost - doodle poll is now out

Today’s Agenda Outline and Notes

  • Review Action Items from last meeting (@Hannah Frost )

  • Debrief from Connect 2021

    • reading the entire CoC every morning felt overkill

      • instead a reusable slide deck that hits the highlights to show each day

      • something like an airplane safety video - with different people

      • easier, less pressure on the program/session hosts

      • @Jessica Hilt will take lead

    • Bess got lots of positive feedback on her lightning talk on doxxing. contextualized the CoC

    • Newcomers felt very welcome

    • creates an atmosphere, consistent message

  • Discuss community guidelines process

    • Annalee’s starter guide

    • Spin off working group chartered to begin in January 2022

      • @bess

      • @Jessica Hilt

      • @Alicia M. Morris

      • @Hannah Frost


Action items

Start a Google calendar for scheduled Helpers tasks (and other business tasks?) @Heather Greer Klein
Submit C4L presentation proposal by November 19
Close out this WG @Hannah Frost
Spin up new WG @Hannah Frost
Reply to Annalee @Hannah Frost