2021-07-01 Samvera Community Safety Working Group

Samvera Helpers Meet-up

Thursday, July 1, 2021

11:30 am  |  Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-05:00)  |  1 hr 

Join by phone

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +18333021536,,393158590# or +16507249799,,393158590#

Or Telephone:
Dial: +1 650 724 9799 (US, Canada, Caribbean Toll) or +1 833 302 1536 (US, Canada, Caribbean Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 393 158 590
Password: 568290

Participants

  • @Hannah Frost

  • @Brian McBride

Action items from June

Response Team planning (need this place by ~early September)

@Heather Greer Klein will create a private Google Drive for the Response Team
Go to the board and request standing budget for incident response training
Create a charter and/or outline of expectations (especially in light of funding and resourcing requests)

Other

Communicate out about resources and support for members of community who are experiencing online abuse from non-Samvera people
Reschedule discussion on accessibility policy

Today’s Agenda Outline and Notes

  • Review Action Items from last meeting (above)

  • Review draft schedule of working group activities between now and October 2021

  • Next steps for Safety Volunteer Structure

    • Review and resolve final comments

      • We’re recommending three terms (2 years) then a break, with the goal is to have a group of trained and experienced responders at any given time.

      • We’re asking for a 3 month notice on taking a break, so we can ensure a adequately trained responder cohort.

    • Proposal: share with community in the context of call for Helpers (and Response Team members?)

  • Next steps for CoC

    • Review and sign off on the final draft of the CoC Response Plan

      • Proposed title “Samvera’s Code of Conduct Incident Response Plan” (IRP)

      • There’s an implication of a need for a checklist from the above document

      • Today (2021-07-01) As a group we’ve approved this document

    • Discuss Response Team member vetting process

      • At present there are no Response Team Members, any and all interested should reach out to Heather (Community Manager). Heather will follow the procedures in Vetting Response Team Members section. Note: we are not yet processing requests to join response team members; that will go out in July.

    • When will we be ready to send to the community?

  • Next up: Anti-harassment policy could use a once-over (https://samvera.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/createpage.action?spaceKey=samvera&title=Anti-Harassment%20Policy&linkCreation=true&fromPageId=1610743809 )

    • CoC will be separate from Anti-harassment (AH) policy

      • Task: Align the CoC, AH policy, and the incident response procedures (IRP)

    • Some things in current doc are duplicating language from other documents

    • Remove duplicated content and create link to separate documents

  • Accessibility for Inclusivity -

    • Does Samvera need an accessibility policy?

Action Items

  • @Heather Greer Klein then @Alicia M. Morriswill work on aligning CoC, AH, and IRP documents. Finalized by end of July

  • @Hannah Frost When sharing out the Safety Volunteer Structure document, refer to Annalee’s report sections; reformatted for the wiki. “Finalized by end of July”

  • @Jeremy Friesen Work on creating a glossary from Annalee’s report (and tie into Safety Volunteer Structure document) (due with communication from Heather; so mid-July draft)

  • @Hannah Frost will develop a checklist for the IRP (finalized by Samvera Connect)

  • @Heather Greer Klein will create a form for helpers and an option to join the response team. At the end of July, Communicate the IRP, request confirmation of existing helpers membership, solicit new members, ask for membership in response teams. Goal would be to “close” this round of submissions by September 1st (ish) (labor day). (@Hannah Frost prepared to offer assistance)

  • @Heather Greer Klein (with guidance from @Hannah Frost) Need a document outlining responsibility/obligation/scope for Response members; this is something they could give to their supervisor to say “This is what I’m signing up for?” (Also due at the end of July, and will inform the messaging)