Create a course: You need to be added as a teacher in any of the courses to be eligible to create a new course.
- Log in to canvas site and go to Dashboard.
- Click the button ‘Start a New Course’ on the bottom-right of the page.
- Fill-in the required details. Keep a note of the ‘short name’ field that you have entered because Avalon uses this short name of the course as the external group name.
- Click ‘create course’ button to create the course.
- Change the course status in the home page of the course to ‘Published’, so that students of that course can access it.
- Go to the newly created course.
- Click ‘Settings’ option on the left side panel (bottom) to go to that page.
- Click on ‘Sections’ tab.
- Enter a new section name in the text area and click ‘+Section’ button to add that section.
- Go to the newly created course.
- Click ‘People’ option on the left side panel to go to that page.
- Click the button ‘+People’ which opens a pop-up.
- Enter the email-id or login-id of the person in the text area (make sure to check the correct radio button).
- Select the role as either a Student or a Teacher from the dropdown.
- Select the section that you want to add this person to.
- Click ‘Next’ and click ‘Add User’.
- Repeat the above steps to add people accounts with different roles to the course.
- Click ‘Modules’ option on the left side panel to go to that page.
- Click the button ‘+Module’ to add a new module to the course.
- Enter the module name and click Add Module button.
- Publish the module by clicking the cloud icon so that students can access it.
Add Tool: A tool can be added to a module, which may contain many such tools. Each tool points to an Avalon item or a section of the item.
- Browse and open an Avalon item that you want to add to canvas using LTI.
- Click the ‘Share’ button and copy the item url from ‘LTI URL’ tab.
- Login to canvas and go to the course, click ‘Modules’ option on the left side panel to go to that page.
- There might be multiple modules, click the ‘+’ button in the row of the module that you want to add the tool to.
- Select ‘External Tool’ from the dropdown.
- Paste the item url in ‘URL’ text area.
- Enter a name for the tool and click ‘Add Item’ and you can see the tool added to the module.
- Publish the tool by clicking the cloud icon so that students can access it.
Assign Special Access for External Group:
- Browse and open the Avalon item.
- Click on ‘Edit’ button and go to the Access Control page.
- Under ‘Assign special Access’ section type in the group name in ‘External Group’ text area (note that group name is nothing but the short name of the course that is given while creating the course) and add the date ranges for access and click Add button.
- Go to preview page and click on “Publish” button to publish the item.
Access the Canvas Item:
- Login to canvas with the accounts that are in the people list of the course.
- Go to Modules and click on the tool that is added and given special access to.
- User should be able to view and play the item.
- Try the same with user accounts with different roles (student/teacher/TA etc.)
Some additional use cases:
- An individual section can also be added as a tool using LTI.
- If the item is not published in Avalon, user should see the home page of Avalon with a message displaying that the user is un-authorized.
- If the special access for external group is not added for the item in Avalon, user should see the home page of Avalon with a message displaying that the user is un-authorized.
- If the user is part of many courses then he should only be seeing the filter for the tools of the course that contains the tool that user is accessing at that instance.
- People belonging to different sections should be able to access the content.
- What if items from different courses are selected?
- What if items from different courses are added to a common playlist?
- Try to apply filter on external group using ‘Browse By’ with a different Avalon account?